We think of the New Year as a renewal of ourselves, a time to lose that “winter fluff”, make amends with a bitter aunt, or maybe start a meditative/yoga session at that studio next to the donut shop.
But now, in this millennium, we have a totally different concern: our digital profile. This is not just about your Facebook photo, or how to write that perfect tweet, but rather, this is about updating, editing, and improving your entire digital lifestyle.
Why? Because we’re moving fast and in all directions. Perplexed by your sprinkler system’s digital control panel? What is this “wave and pay” function in credit cards? What is a tablet?
You can do this! Here are some tips:
1) Gain more Twitter and Pinterest followers by:
- Defining why you are on Twitter/Pinterest, develop a contextual reason
- Tweeting/pinning content that fits this contextual reason
- Showing that you are human, don’t be an autoscheduled platform
- Read and reply to your friends’ tweets and pins! Show them you care.
- Uploading a picture of YOU that is clean and clear
*You may start this away from the screen by writing down 5 things you like really talking about in real life, then going from there.
2) Clean up and Perfect your LinkedIn Profile/About Me Bios
- We really do want to know what you do in your real life, as well as current and future employers.
- Don’t forget to post updates that are professional, and join Linkedin Groups
- Write a short biography, no more than 200 characters. Don’t wax on.
- Go through all those old albums. Really. You’ll find some to be… atrocious.
- Change your privacy settings. People who are not your friends should really only be able to see your profile picture and maybe where you work or went to school.
- Unfriend the people who you really aren’t friends with – hate breeds hate, and meaningless connections are meaningless.
- Can you like Facebook pages you actually care about and unlike the unnecessary ones?
4) Sign up for Twitter via SMS
For emergencies or easier tweeting, do this. You can reach a broad audience if you need help by using just your phone’s text messaging and without having to open the Twitter app! Read more here: https://support.twitter.com/articles/14014-twitter-via-sms-faq#
5) Create a Spotify account
- Find some new music and listen to artists you’ve never heard of
- Connect with your friends/Facebook and see what everyone’s listening to
- Sign-up for the premium service to avoid ads, just $10/mo
I hope you take this into consideration. Your digital lifestyle will greatly improve, and you will find much more happiness online!